Sciensano has been appointed for the epidemiological monitoring of the COVID-19 epidemic in Belgium. Sciensano processes data that provide a scientific insight into the dynamics of the epidemic and thus supports an evidence-based policy to control the COVID-19 epidemic.
COVID-19 Data Request
Since 31 March 2020, Sciensano has made daily updated data publicly available.
Obtaining access to additional data other than these public (open) data is subject to at least:
- Compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Belgian Law of 30 July 2018 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data (including combined datasets consisting partly of personal data and partly of non-personal data);
- Obtaining authorisation of the Information Security Committee, if health data are concerned.
(1) The applicant submits the electronic application form below
(2) Sciensano evaluates the application and communicates the result thereof to the applicant within 21 days (target period, may be exceeded due to priority of COVID-19 monitoring tasks).
(3) Where the evaluation shows that the application can be granted:
- Sciensano shall provide the applicant with a draft agreement for access to/communication of the data
- where appropriate, the applicant shall, in agreement with Sciensano, submit an application for authorisation to the Information Security Committee
(4) The applicant shall provide Sciensano with:
- a signed copy of the agreement
- where appropriate, the authorisation of the Information Security Committee
Form to send to email@example.com
 In addition to any contractual obligations Sciensano may have with respect to the data.
 A mere authorisation of the Information Security Committee does not in any way oblige Sciensano to grant access to or communicate data.
 Aspects that may be covered by this Agreement include, but are not limited to, Parties’ responsibilities, access or communication methods, security measures, duration of the Agreement, added value with regard to public health, compensation, collaboration with Sciensano research team(s), reporting and publication of results and intellectual property rights.